all you need to know about me - and then some
My photo
I'm a Library Associate/Adult Services in Maryland. I'm married. I have three children and two grandchildren. And I have twenty chickens and one beehive in the backyard.

Jul 20, 2009

BOOK REVIEW # 2

The Sweet Potato Queens’ Book of Love
by Jill Conner Browne

The Sweet Potato Queens’ Book of Love is the first in a series of books by Jill Conner Browne about the Sweet Potato Queens. The Sweet Potato Queens consist of Browne and a group of bad girl belles in Jackson, Mississippi, who are the main attraction in the annual St. Patrick’s Day parade. These girls love a parade. These girls love to have fun. In essence, these girls love life. And they’re not afraid to show it with their antics.

If you didn’t know that Southern women are just downright different from most other women, you’ll know soon enough as you begin reading The Sweet Potato Queens’ Book of Love. Sure, Southern women talk with funny accents. And plenty of Southern women have big hair. But one thing most Southern women aren’t is STUPID—especially relating to men. Browne shows us how she and her fellow Queens manipulate (did I use that word?), I mean encourage, men to do their bidding. As she says, “Queens love men. They taste just like chicken.” Browne shares the Queens’ magic words they use to get any man, any time, any where, to do their bidding. But, as Browne is quick to point out since her momma is probably gonna read her book, the Queens never have to follow through on their Promise. Just the Promise, most especially with an audience to hear the words, will get the Queens anything they want from a man.

Browne is a funny person. She’s also a funny writer. This makes for a laugh-out-loud kinda book. And the Southern expressions (many of which I’m familiar since I’m a Southern girl) are quite entertaining. It’s been a long time (I’m a Southerner transplanted to the North) since I’ve heard the expressions/words “he was fixin’ to,” “he don’t know jack shit” and “there’s a nekkid man,” but I was instantly transported back to the South as I read Browne’s words. You don’t have to be a Southerner, however, to understand and enjoy The Sweet Potato Queens’ Book of Love. You’ll get it.

1 comment:

tinylittlelibrarian said...

I read their First Big-Ass Novel last year and it was quite a hoot. I'd love to see them in the parade!!